Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire denies threatening to sack resident doctors

THE Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, has urged resident doctors to call off their ongoing strike, saying embarking on industrial action amid the third wave of COVID-19, cholera outbreak in 22 states and a Marburg virus outbreak is unconscionable.

This was as he said the Federal Government would enforce the International Labour Organisation’s policy of no-work-no-pay should the doctors continue the strike, stressing that doctors would not be paid from taxpayers’ money for doing nothing.

He also denied threatening to sack resident doctors who withdrew their services nationwide since August 2, 2021, over alleged poor conditions of service, explaining that all the engagements and consultations so far had been to appeal to them to call off the strike.

The minister said most of the 12 demands raised by the striking resident doctors had been met by the government while the others were under the jurisdiction of states, and not the Federal Government.

cc PUNCH

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *